Chat with Rubie 10 hrs before her murder

Chat with Rubie 10 hrs
before her murder

 
Ruby Garcia, 52, shot dead inside home in Talaba, Bacoor, Cavite
It is very, very sad to know that I was chatting to a lady reporter friend without an inkling that 10 hours later two men will get inside his house in Barangay Talaba, Bacoor, Cavite to pump four bullets into her frail body and one in her arm.

At 11:59 p.m. of 5 April 2014, Rubylita Garcia, popped out in my PM chat room pricking my conscience why I did not come to the birthday party last April 3 of a common friend in Tanza, Cavite.

After responding that I could not do so because of so many deadlines, she pricked my conscience again about my pledge to help her and her family members in their problems with their land.  This was my pledge as my own way of paying back for her being a very good friend to me.  On this she asked: “Sige po kelan po ako puwede pumunta para dun sa inilalambing ko sa iyong lupa.”

I told her that I was still waiting for the deed of assignments that I prepared to be signed by her relatives because these were indispensable to a petition to be filed for them.

She complained to me that the case should be filed soon because her siblings were crying for it already. Thus, she said: “Worried na po kasi kapatid ko umiiyak na nga sa akin, opo napapirmahan ko na sa kanila.”

Then she agreed to visit me on April 6, 2014 at my office to prepare her case. 

But she never came.  At 10:00 or so, it was reported, two gunmen barged inside her house and shot her in cold blood. She was declared dead at 3:00 p.m. at St. Dominic Hospital in Bacoor.

National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP) said Ruby became the 20th media person murdered during the term of President P-Noy. She is the 160th since 1986, when the mother of P-Noy, Corazon Aquino became President.

Ruby was hard-hitting on her subjects of her stories but very kind and very helpful to friends.  

At the time she was killed, she was the president of CAMPO (Confederation of Active Media Practitioners Organization) in Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, and Quezon.

She was on her 20th year as reporter of Remate and was reporting for a local radio station.

For all her goodness to me, I cannot forget her.  Certainly, I will make good my promise to help her and her family regarding their land problem.

I post my brief conversation with her, below:



Comments