Perhaps this is one more experience that I cannot forget. 

It happened after I landed at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) at midnight of August 19, 2013, after a three-hour delayed flight from Puerto Princesa City where I attended a hearing for my clients.

I was told by my nephews that they were able to cross flooded streets on my 1997 Toyota Corolla to fetch me from NAIA Terminal 3.

After leaving the airport, I told my nephew, Joshua Causing Syjueco, to take the Skyway in going back to my office in Malate, Manila. 

Only to find that the Skyway was closed at the Makati Exit portion and we were forced to come down to Makati instead of the planned Buendia Exit.

Through Makati, my car waded through foot-high floods. Joshua who was driving chose to drive through the center of each road we took because he thought it is the shallowest portion of any street.

When we reached Don Chino Roces Ave. (Pasong Tamo St.), Joshua  failed to notice a center island and my car climbed on it. 

I told my nephew to drive back. But the car reached to a point that the car cannot move back further. 

I saw about five (5) persons on the street and I summoned for help. They all studied how to get the car off the island. One suggested to use the jack. The jack was put out of my back compartment and placed at the left bottom part of the driver's area, near the left front tire. 

When the car was moved high enough, somebody brought out three small wood planks of the size of 2 inches by three inches joined together by two short-length lumber. 

Then I directed them to put the plank in front of the left tire and slant it towards the island and we all pushed the car to the right. Quickly, all the two front wheels were put back to the road. 

Then the rear left tire cannot hurdle the island. But the persons who helped were strong enough to push the car forward. 

Then I gave them P400 out of my generosity. I took over the wheels and we trekked Pasong Tamo and turned left at Buendia Ave. 

Then I stopped at a point on Buendia that was about 100 meters before crossing over the railroad tacks. 

I studied the waters again. 

When I saw some cars dared and were able to cross, I moved ahead. I hurdled that flood.  

After crossing President Osmeña highway, I was stopped again by the sight of a deep water before crossing Filmore St. 

I studied the waters again. Confident that my Toyota can cross, I drove ahead and turned right at Filmore St.  The waters here were the deepest of all we passed through. But we succeeded until we reached the portion of Filmore, in front of Cash & Carry Mall, where there was no water. 

Then, I moved forward despite the noisy engine caused by the damaged "tambutso" courtesy of that center island incident. 

I crossed Vito Cruz St. and moved until I reached and turned left at Estrada St. 

Then the last deep water confronted me again. I told my nephews to go out of the car and walk on the water for me to know the depth. 

After ascertaining my car can roll through I drove again. 

We reached my office at 1:30 am. 

But when I started telling my experience to a doctor friend, it was only then I recalled that I forgot to get the alligator jack we used to lift my car high enough to place the gang plank. 

I did not know if I could still get back the alligator jack because I forgot the faces of those heroes who helped me. 

About an hour after I settled in my office, heavy rains started to pour again. Until this writing at 4:00 a.m.,  the heaven was still crying hard. 

All classes and offices have been suspended for the second day (August 20, 2013). 

Surfing the internet, I learned all the dams were overflowing and their gates had been opened. 

These overflow of water caused water to spill over from the rivers.  This was the reasons why nine (9) towns of Cavite were chest-deep under water at the time of writing. 

At least 12 other provinces were as deep in shit. 


Whatever, I thank those heroes of mine: I am safe in my office.
Post a Comment

Popular Posts