AM I REALLY GOLD?

AM I
REALLY
GOLD?




 I do not want it to happen but it is happening. 

There are two kinds of things in the world: Those that you can control how to happen and those that you cannot control from happening.

One such a thing that we cannot control is the rising of our age.

I am turning Gold this 10 December 2014 and they say this age must be fine for it means I achieve the status as gold in my life. 

(Nevertheless, I am happy with my day of birth.  It is the World’s Human Rights Day because the Universal Declaration of Human Rights was adopted by the United Nations General Assembly on 10 December 1948.   It is also a day for the Treaty of Paris Day;  Spain signed this agreement surrendering the Philippines, Guam, Puerto Rico, and parts of West Indies to the children of George Washington for $20 million in 1898.)

But wait. Am I really gold just because I am becoming 50 years old?

I do not want to discuss because I am always biased in favor of my self.

I would rather discuss what gold is, literally.

A metal that is of pure gold does not become less gold even if buried in the deep feces of man or scum.  Once it is extracted out and simply washed with water, it shines naturally.

This means that a man or a woman of pure gold does not have to worry despite all the accusations thrown on him. That purely golden thing in him or her will always stay, come what may.

For anything of gold, no matter how deeply placed beneath the earth, miners will always endure whatever difficulty that presents them.  They will risk their life-earned money just to take that gold out.  They will go to any mountain if they know there it can only be extracted.  They will secure any heavy equipment no matter the price to get that pure gold.

This means that a man or a woman of pure gold does not have to worry employing some trappings to fool people to earn business.   That purely golden thing in him or her will always be searched when heard from word of mouths of satisfied clients or customers.   For a golden heart to advertise to make the gold in him or her known all over is already an act of greed.   For sure, silence ensures golden performance for a true golden person.  They say that a river that is silent is deep. I say this kind of channel ensures more efficiency in transporting water from upstream: its volume per second of run is definitely a thousand bigger than fast-running but shallow stream.  I recall the advice of Desiderata: "Go placidly amidst the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence..."

 A pure gold keeps its appearance of purity even if soaked in acid. 

(He he he, I recall a joke of a man selling fake gold that fades when soaked with acid and that trader says, "Peke ang suka.")

This means that a man or a woman of pure gold does not get panic when grilled or when placed even in the most awkward position or uncompromising situation.  To understand this statement, look at a person who pretends to be not corrupt and who maintains his innocence against accusation and he docks away, flees, and makes some ploys in other venues in an attempt to out-sprint the chasing truth.  Also, look at a lawyer who claims to be a legal luminary but only to crack to ignominy when intensely questioned by Lions of the Supreme Court (I talk on this recalling our oral arguments before the High Court for our joined petitions seeking the declaration of unconstitutionality of the Reproductive Health and Responsible Parenthood Act or simply "RH Law").

Until this time I wrote this, I cannot say if I am really a Gold Man. But I am ready to submit my self to any acid test – even if it means death.

That although I have no control over the turning of my 50th birthday, I will always do my best in all my acts for those matters that I can control, particularly my attitude to friends and clients, rich and poor, my urge for money, power and sex -- all for the passionate purpose of avoiding the complexity of immorality.


Let's all be good -- and be gold.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I urge all, though, to read and eat the meat of “Desiderata”, a Latin word for “Things that are desired,” written in 1927 only for his own enjoyment by Max Erhmann, a German-blooded lawyer and poet of Indiana.

DESIDERATA

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

--  By Max Ehrmann

Comments